Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail is a hiker’s, nature lover’s and eco-tourist’s dream.
Situated 10km outside Badplaas, Mpumalanga, just 3 hours drive from Johannesburg and Pretoria and 1 hour from Nelspruit, you will find the Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail.
It is a two day basecamp trail, meaning that you spend your both nights at the house where you park your vehicle. This spectacular trail passes through pristine grassland, up unspoilt mountain ridges, down gorges, past beautiful streams, waterfalls, natural rock pools, awesome rock formations and ancient ruins. Along the trail you will come across a variety of antelope. Both the first and second day’s hike brings you to the mountain top with splendid panoramic views of the whole Badplaas valley. There is an abundance of indigenous fauna and flora. At night you can enjoy the beauty of millions of stars and the calls of jackals in the distance and owls in the trees around the house. The route is clearly marked and clean and can be enjoyed by young and old.
The thatched stone cottage has 12 beds, is very neat and comfortable and although there is no electricity, warm water is provided by means of a donkey-geyser. The caretaker, Samson, will make sure there is hot water. There are 2 toilets, 2 showers, a fireplace, a two plate gas stove, a small gas fridge and all cooking utensils are provided, so you can just bring food, linen and lighting. Cooking is usually done outside in the big adjacent lapa and firewood is available.
Blue Wildebeest hiking trail:
- 12 hikers.
Length/Duration, Degree of difficulty:
- Two day trails from central base camp;
- Day 1: 9.5 km (easy – average);
- Day 2: 6.5km (average – difficult).
Comfortable Hikers accommodation:
- Thatched stone cottage;
- 12 beds with mattresses;
- Donkey-fired geyser;
- 2 Toilets and 2 showers.
- 2-plate gas stove;
- Small gas fridge;
- Candle holders, 2 Paraffin Lamps;
- Black cast iron pots, various sizes, Ordinary pots and pans, various sizes;
- Cups and glasses, cutlery and crockery, paper plate holders;
- Braai tongs, Braai grid;
- Camp chairs, 2 tables;
- 2 bags of wood per group that booked.
- Weather patterns can be variable; and
- There is a fire danger in winter;
- You enter this trail at your own risk;
- The caretaker will make sure the donkey is stoked.
Location of trail:
- 10 km from Badplaas.
- 300 km from Gauteng.
What you should remember to bring:
- Lighting: candles, electric lights, gas lamps etc;
- Own gas bottles, standard fitting, for stove and fridge;
- Food and drinks;
- Bedding and pillows;
- Matches and firelighters;
- Toilet paper and toiletries;
- Swimwear and swim towels;
- Camera, binoculars;
- Dishwashing liquid ,dish cloths and sponges for dishes.
Cell phone reception:
- At gate and various spots near the house.
- R170.00 per person per night.
- R100.00 per person per night – U/12
- R75.00 per per day – Day Visitors
- Children U/2 stay free.
- R55.00 Admin fee once off per reservation.