Hartbeespoort Dam area / Pretoria / Johannesburg
In the heart of busy Gauteng, virtually on the doorstep of both Johannesburg and Pretoria, hikers can now experience one of the few unspoilt nature areas near the Hartbeespoort Dam.
The Hennops hiking trail consists of two-day trails setting out from a base camp. At the beginning and end of both trails, the route meanders along the Hennops River before veering away into the surrounding mountains.
The Krokodilberg trail followed on the first day is 10 km long, and traverses the mountainous area of the farm, while the second day’s Zebra trail, 5 km long, traverses the fenced game camp. The Hennops trail will thus be ideal for both short and long weekend breakaways. Day hikers are welcome.
The Hadeda base camp is situated on the banks of the Hennops River. At the picnic area, 500m away there are two big swimming pools where hikers can cool down and picnic after a good day’s hiking. The original stone farmhouse and rondavel make up Hadeda camp. The camp has basic facilities to ensure a pleasurable base from which to undertake the hikes. Two unique features on the trail are the river crossings – a suspension bridge and a cable car. There are interesting historical sites along the trail, amongst others an old field (veld) hospital used in the Anglo Boer war. Aspiring historians will enjoy seeing an underground cave where “Pruimpie” lived, traces of old settlements and the old dolomite mines and the ovens in which the rocks were heated to melt and extract the lime. Apart from the 9-mammal species in the game camp, kudu thrives in this area. The indigenous trees along the river, the gorges and plateau areas make this an outstanding area for bird life.
At times the trail feels so remote that one can hardly believe that both Johannesburg and Pretoria are less than 45 minutes away! This venue is ideal for a family outing – the energetic members can go on a hike while other family members can stay behind at the picnic area at the swimming pools where there are braai facilities. The Hennops hiking trail will appeal to all hikers, even nature lovers who are not dedicated backpackers.
Location of trail:
- 25 km from Pretoria
- 40 km from Johannesburg
- 16 km from Hartbeespoort Dam.
Length / Duration:
- Dassie trail:
- 5km (1hour)
- Easy to Average
- Zebra trail:
- 5km (2 hours)
- Easy to Average
- Elevation gain: 110m
- Krokodilberg trail:
- 10km (3-5 hours)
- Average to Difficult
- Elevation gain: 400m
- Not recommended for children u/12 or unfit adults
- 10 min hikers
- 18 max hikers
- Only one group per weekend.
- Bungalow with 2 rooms each with 3 bunk beds, sleeps 12.
- Rondavel with 3 bunk beds, sleeping 6 people.
- OWN LINEN, TOWELS
- Fully equipped kitchen with electricity.
- Fridge, 2 plate gas stove, microwave, kettle, washing up facilities, pots, pans and “potjies”.
- Tables and chairs
- 2 basins, showers and toilets.
- Proceed to Hadeda camp for parking. Braai facilities at picnic spot.
- PLEASE WEAR HIKING SHOES, NO FLIP FLOPS.
- Carry water. The water in the river is not suitable for drinking.
- PLEASE NOTE – NO MUSIC ALLOWED AT CAMP.
- NOT A PARTY VENUE – STRICTLY NO BACHELOR PARTIES OR PARTIES – SERIOUS HIKERS ONLY!!!!
Hennops Mountain Biking Trail:
- 5 – 33 km in distance
- Mountain bike essential.
- Marked with a bicycle.
- Trail does not overlap hiking trails.
The route starts from the shady Hennops Picnic Spot or Hadeda Camp. After a short ride you cross the Hennops River by means of a 30 m suspension bridge, and then veer off into the more mountainous area. The trail takes you through pristine highveld grassland, interspersed with patches of bushveld. The trail is not to technical but suitable for adventurous riders, requiring some degree of fitness. The trail covers a total ascent of 490m. There is a variety of game to be seen on the trail. After your ride you can recover in the swimming pools or over a braai in Hennops Picnic Spot. Bring your family and friends and enjoy an adventure in the outdoors.
Check In Times:
- Check In: 07h00
- Check Out: 17h00 (Sunday)
- Check In: Friday – 14h00 -20h00
- Check Out: Sunday – 17h00
Saturday night (One night):
- R300.00 pp.pn
- R200.00 – Children U/18
Weekend (2 nights):
- R420.00 per person for the weekend.
- R300.00 per child for the weekend – Children U/18
- R85.00 per adult
- R50.00 per child U/18
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation