4-Night Oystercatcher Trail
- Our famous Oystercatcher Trail; it’s a Love Affair with Nature!
- 5-day, 4-night guided coastal walk
- Rates include a local guide, luxury accommodation & all meals
Oystercatcher Trail: 4 nights, 5 days
Walk from Mossel Bay’s Cape St. Blaize to the Gourits River Mouth in the company of a knowledgeable and entertaining local guide – and discover ancient history that goes back to the dawn of modern human behaviour.
You’ll walk in the company of new friends in a small group (usually no more than about 12 guests).
Includes accommodation, guide fees, luggage transport, and all meals (on some days you’ll carry your own picnic lunch, on others we’ll serve lunch on the beach)
Accommodation is provided in superbly-appointed local guesthouses – with some nights at the traditional-style Sandpiper Cottages at Boggomsbaai
You’ll walk carrying just your daypack – but you’ll leave with more than a pack-full of memories!
The Oystercatcher Trail: Day-by-day:
Day 1: Mossel Bay
- Dinner and a good rest before the walking begins
- Arrive and check-in at your accommodation in Mossel Bay
- Enjoy sundowners with a member of the Oystercatcher Trail team
- Dinner at a local restaurant (transport will be arranged by the restaurant.
- Drinks for your own account).
Day 2: Mossel Bay to Dana Bay
- Today’s walk: mostly cliff paths. Amazing views!
- Todays walking: 15 km
- Your guide will meet you at your guest house, and will arrange your luggage for collection by our road transport service.
- Please remember to carry your day pack with you – with sunblock, a towel, swimming costume, camera, etc.
- Walk to a local restaurant for breakfast; you’ll receive an Oystercatcher Trail water bottle and your lunch-pack for the day.
- Walk with your guide to the St. Blaize Cave for the actual start of your Oystercatcher Trail.
- Meander and explore with your guide along the cliffs and contour paths, and via the St Blaize Trail and Pinnacle Point Golf & Beach Estate to Dana Bay.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch en route.
- Road transport from Dana Bay to Sandpiper Cottages in Boggomsbaai, where welcome snacks will be served.
- Dinner at Sandpiper Sports Centre (Drinks for your own account).
- Overnight at Sandpiper Cottages
Day 3: Dana Bay to Boggomsbaai
- Today’s route: mostly beachy!
- Today’s walking: 12 km
- Breakfast at Sandpiper Sports Centre. Receive you lunch packs for the day – and remember to replenish your Oystercatcher Trail water bottle!
- Road transport to Dana Bay to continue your walk.
- Today you’ll be walking along the beach – with frequent sightings of dolphins and (between May and October), the migratory southern right whales that come here to mate and calve.
- Visit ancient Khoisan middens in the dunes, and enjoy a picnic lunch en route.
- Welcome snacks at Sandpiper Cottages.
- Afternoon at leisure.
- This might be a good time for a pampering massage at the Sandpiper Spa (but this is an optional extra – please arrange it with us before your trail begins). Or you could play a game on the Sandpiper Sports Centre’s tennis court or glass back squash court, or enjoy a bit of chill time on the deck. Dinner at Sandpiper Sports Centre. Overnight at Sandpiper Cottages.
Day 4: Boggomsbaai to Gourits River
- From beaches to rocky shores.
- Today’s walking: 21 km
- Breakfast at Sandpiper Sports Centre.
- Walk along the beach and rocky shore to Fransmanshoek – a small nature reserve with abundant bird life and beautiful veld flowers (where La Fortune was wrecked in 1763 en route from Mauritius to France: Fransmanshoek means ‘French Corner’).
- Enjoy a beach lunch, and snorkeling and swimming in the secluded bay.
- Walk to Kanon Private Nature Reserve (about 3 km east of the Gourits River Mouth), which protects one of the few remaining patches of Gourits Coastal Dune Thicket.
- Visit ancient Khoi San fish traps and the giant dunes along the way – and if you’re fit enough, you might like to climb the dunes!
- Continue walking to the Gourits River Mouth.
- Cross the river by boat
- Road transport back to Sandpiper Cottages
- Farewell Dinner at the Sandpiper Sport Centre. (Drinks for your own account).
- Overnight at Sandpiper Cottages.
Day 5: Goodbye
- Your last, lingering breakfast with us. Sigh
- Breakfast at Sandpiper Sports Centre.
- Road transport to Mossel Bay.
- Let the memories begin!
- R 8,600.00 per person sharing (minimum 4 – added to a group)
- R 9,200.00 per person sharing (minimum 4 private group)
- Point of Human Origins Experience: humanorigin.co.za will be part of the love affair with nature from 2019!
- Please talk to usif your party includes less than 4 people – we can try to arrange for you to walk with another group, which’ll ensure that the price remains as quoted (and that you’ll make new friends!)
- Rates valid from 10 January 2019 to 10 December 2019.