Memel, Eastern Free State
The green rolling hills, numerous picturesque mountain streams and weathered rock krans make the area around Memel interesting for the hiker. Sediba Hiking Trail has been well laid out to take full advantage of this beautiful area of the Eastern Free State. Enjoy a sundowner on the beautiful deck overlooking the mountains.
- Basecamp hike
- Near Memel in the Eastern Free State
- +- 240 km from JHB
- Nearest Town Memel – 16 km
The two-day trail is well constructed and well suited for the novice hiker who is unsure of their fitness level. The accommodation is superb in the context of what hikers are normally used too and the kitchen facilities well above the average.
The Khwela Trail is the main trail of ± 10.5 km long, the trail is name after the Kwhela Kloof with it’s cascading water, water pools and spectacular views.
The Ou Hout Trail is named after the dominant tree species that features on the trail. This trail is 6 km long with many surprises installed for the hiker which will not easily be forgotten.
The rocky terrain and water streams are negotiated with the help of several ladders and numerous bridges. A lot of work has gone into the trail to make sure it is safe for hikers.
- 3 Thatch roof chalets nestled in the mountains
- Sleeps 34 hikers
- Flush toilets and showers
- Hot water provided by a “donkey”
- Lapa with kitchen area
- Pots & pans
- Bring own braai, charcoal and firelighters, wood is provided for donkey and boma.
- There are only lights
- Signal is good
- Dirt road: There is a dirt road but there is safe parking in town not for vehicles that cannot drive on the dirt road. The owners of the trail will assist with transport from safe parking in town to overnight hut.
- Bring own ice or buy in town
- Not pet friendly
- R230 pp.pn
- R120.00 pp – Day Visitors
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation.