Bethlehem, Free State
The Sporekrans hiking trail is another example of a trail that opens up the Kaleidoscope of diversity that is the epitome of the Eastern Free State. It is well laid out and constructed and a welcome addition to the hiking trails of South Africa. It is quite short (18 km in total) and should be taken at a leisurely pace as to experience the fullness of what this area has to offer.
Between Bethlehem and Fouriesburg in the Eastern Free State.
- 45 km form Bethlehem
- 310 km from Johannesburg
- 280 km from Bloemfontein.
First and second night can be spent in the base camp or you can spend the second night in the cave.
- Accommodates 26 hikers
- Room 1 – 10 beds
- Room 2 – 16 beds
- Hot plate
- Pots & pans
- Microwave oven
- Electric kettle
- Lapa with braai facilities
- Hot showers
- Flush toilets
- Rustic log beds with mattresses.
- Iron pot
- Braai facilities
- “Long drop” offers a spectacular view over the plains of the reserve.
The name says it all. On this overnight trail a wide variety, of up to 17 game species and various bird life, roaming the immaculate fields and mountains at Bergdeel Private Nature reserve, welcomes you. Nestled in the heart of the Witteberge with its dense bushes and mountain streams, this is a trail that will revitalize your soul. On the first day (12 km) the trail starts off with a beautiful wood bridge under a sandstone cliff and then passes the rare Bald Ibis’s breeding spot. You then enter into “Stinkhout Kloof” completely surrounded by White-stinkwood trees where the trail leads to “Marriage Corner”, a romantic resting place. Further on, Caracals ladder takes you up to Angel’s Height, God’s little finger and the Bushmen’s Baths. At midday the hiker can cool off at the Mermaids pools, a highlight to look forward to. The day ends off in Bushmen’s Cave where the ancient Bushmen’s presence can be felt and the turmoil of city life is forgotten. Water is available in rainy season, but take enough water along. The second day (4.5 km) takes you deeper into the reserve with lots of surprises installed for you. A visit is an absolute must and an experience that cannot easily be matched.
- Camp fire wood available
- Please supply own braai wood or charcoal
- You only need your own bedding, cutlery, food and toiletries
- En-suite room, part of hikers building but separated with door – private.
- Accommodates 4 people, own bathroom, linen. Shared kitchen facilities with hikers camp
- COTTAGE – fully equipped for self-catering. Linen included, private, 2 people
- R150.00 per person per night
- R130.00 children U/12 plus
- R85.00 pp.pd – Day Visitors
- R55.00 admin fee once of per reservation
- En-suite room – R175.00 pppd
- Camping – R85.00 pppd
- COTTAGE – R500.00 per day / cottage