Following the purchase of several farms in the area by the Transvaal Provincial Administration Department of Nature Conservation, the Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, which boasts the largest formally protected sample of the fauna and flora of the Rocky Highveld Grassland biome, was proclaimed on the 27 March 1974. With 11 595 ha* of unspoiled natural environment and a mountain range with an altitude between 1 545 m and 1 917 m above sea level, the reserve is characterized by meandering hiking trails, scenic vistas and a variety of outdoor activities.
It is aptly named after the Transvaal Sugar-bush (Protea caffra), which occurs chiefly in the eastern and south-eastern parts of the reserve. It consists of Ventersdorp and Witwatersrand geological systems. The Ventersdorp System which is characterized by steep, notched mountain sides and flat plains, occupies approximately 70% of the reserve’s surface, and is volcanic in origin. Volcanic soils are more fertile in general, with the result that the Ventersdorp System offers better grazing than the Witwatersrand system.
The aims of the reserve are to conserve the natural environment, assuring that plant and animal species diversity is maintained, and provide open-air outside recreation, environmental education and research opportunities.
*A further 6 302 ha of land has been purchased, but this has not yet been integrated into the reserve.
Your visit is very important to the reserve. Please help us make both your visit, as well as that of other users, a pleasant and safe one, by observing the reserve rules printed on your access permit.
General information, Activities and tariffs:
- Bokmakiere: 10 km to 11.5 km (please ignore 17km distance this was redesigned to 11,5km in the same direction of 17kms)
- Cheetah: 4.5 km
- Toktokkie accessible trail: 1km
Tourist Route: The tourist route is a 67 km tarred road which covers a large section of the reserve. Enjoy a picnic at Holhoek situated about half way on the route. Holhoek has braai facilities, running water and ablution facilities.
Visitor Services: For organized learner groups. There is a wide variety of programmes available (based on OBE) which will be presented to the group by an official. Bookings should be done 3 months in advance.
Overnight hiking trails:
- Minimum 5, maximum 10 persons
- 5 huts to choose from, you plan your own route.
- Trail can be from 1 to 5 nights. You cannot stay at the same hut for more than one night.
- 10 mattresses
- Enviro loo
- Braai, kettle
- 2 pots and an axe.
- ONLY five huts available, Blesbok, Springbok, Duiker, Steenbok &Eland.
The Diepkloof Visitor Centre Provides
- Booking (which is essential) for conference facilities, accommodation, overnight trails and educational programmes.
- Picnic and braai facilities and children’s play park.
- A Suikerbosrand diorama and display of Highveld ecosystems.
- Educational programmes on request.
Day Trails: All day trails follow a circular route, beginning and ending at Diepkloof.
Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve covers a surface area of 19 000 ha including extensions and is named after the Transvaal Sugarbush (Protea caffra).
The dominant feature on the reserve is the Suikerbosrand mountain range. The altitude of which varies from 1 545 to 1 917 metres above sea level.
Large mammal species occurring on the reserve:
Eland, Zebra, Oribi, Grey rhebuck, Steenbok, Kudu, Springbok, Black wildebeest, Blesbuck, Common duiker, Cape fox, Red hartebeest, Porcupine, Common reedbuck, Aardvark, Brown hyena, Black backed jackal, Mountain Reedbuck, Chacma baboon, Small spotted Genet.
Suikerbosrand entrance fees: Day Visitors
- Adults: R35
- Children: R25
- Pensioners: R25
- Car: R25, Combi: R35
- Mini bus (15-30 seats): R45
- Bus (30 + seats): R65
Overnight hiking trails:
Only five hurts are operational i.e. Blesbok, Springbok, Duiker, Steenbok & Eland – Please enquire at the Reception Office
- Min 5 people
- Max 10 people
- R210.00 pp.pd
- R300.00 pp (Adult) – Season Ticket – 6 months valid
- R135.00 pp (Child/Pensioner – Season Ticket – 6 months valid
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation.
There is no gallery selected or the gallery was deleted.